OLD_SERA025: Turf (IEG-16)
- October 01, 2006 to September 30, 2007
- Administrative Advisor(s):
(Florida Cooperative Extension)
George Hochmuth (FLA) - Research
- NIFA Reps:
Statement of Issue(s) and Justification:The turfgrass industry in the South continues to grow in area and economic importance. Several states in the region share the same issues and concerns. By exchanging information, scientists in the region can use their time and resources more efficiently and avoid duplication of effort. Meeting annually stimulates cooperative efforts and enhances turf research, extension and education programs in the region.
- Foster the exchange of information about current research and extension activities and discuss future directions and needs for turf programs in the region.
- Encourage the exchange of information concerning research/extension methodologies and technologies.
- Promote cooperative efforts among university researchers, teachers and extension professionals in the region.
Procedures and ActivitiesThe chair will solicit ideas/topics for discussion from scientists in the region. The chair appoints one or two faculty members to critically review and prepare a presentation addressing the topics with the highest priority. This will lead to discussion and the exchange of information. Standing committees will be appointed by the chair to nominate officers, select meeting sites, and identify academic issues affecting turf. These committees will report to the SERA-IEG at each annual meeting. Minutes will be taken by the secretary and distributed electronically to all participants. An annual report will be prepared by the chair and distributed via U.S. mail to all participants.
Expected Outcomes and Impacts:
- Annual meetings will be well attended with a good balance of research and extension personnel
- Meeting agendas will provide adequate time for exchange of information and discussion of future priorities and needs.
- Collaborations, formal and informal, among SERA-IEG members in research and extension activities will increase over time.
Project Participation:Include a completed Appendix E form
Information about current research and extension activities in turf and new methodologies and technologies will be exchanged at the annual meeting and other venues. This information will be incorporated into individual member's research and/or extension programs as appropriate and ultimately transmitted to the turf industry. Minutes and annual reports will be distributed to members and other interested parties and archived for future reference.
The participants elect a chair, vice-chair and secretary. The vice-chair succeeds the chair and the secretary succeeds the vice-chair. Thus, after the initial election only one officer is elected annually. The SERA- IEG operates with a committee infrastructure. There are standing committees for nominations, site selection, recognition/awards, and teaching.
Back to Top